- Morbidelli Alessandro
Researcher in Astronomy (permanent position)
office : UMR LAGRANGE PHCS-17
adress : P.H.C
Boulevard de l'Observatoire
06304 Nice Cedex 4
phone : +33 4 92 00 30 51
Born in Italy on May, 2, 1966
Education*Master degree in Physics at the University of Milan (Italy) - 1988
*Ph. D. in Mathematics at the University FUNDP of Namur (Belgium) - 1991
- Celestial Mechanics
- Small Body dynamics
- Solar System formation
- Extrasolar Planets
- Theory of Hamiltonian Dynamical Systems
Honors*Young Scientist Scientific Award: European Geophysical Society, 1994.
*Bronze medal: C.N.R.S., 1995
*ICARUS Editor's Letter of Commendation, 1996.
*asteroid 5596 1991PQ10 named Morbidelli, 1996.
*Urey prize of the Division for Planetary Sciences of the A.A.S., 2000.
*Grand Prix Mergier-Bourdeix of the French Academy of Science, 2009
*Grand Prix Doyen Lepine de la Ville de Nice, 2014.
*Elected Associate Member of the Royal Academy of Belgium, 2014.
*Elected Associate Member of the French Academy of Sciences 2015.
* Co-editor of Icarus, for papers on dynamics (since Jan. 2000)
* Associate editor of Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy (since Jan. 2001)
* Director of the French National Programme for Planetary Science (PNP) (2010-2018)
* Correspondent member of Bureau des Longitudes
* Deputy Director of Laboratoire Lagrange, Nice (2012-2015); Acting director (2015)
* President of IAU commission 7 (2012-2015)
* Co-editor of the book The Solar System Beyond Neptune (Univ. Arizona Press)
* referee for Icarus, Celestial Mechanics, Astronomical Journal, Physica D, Astronomy and Astropysics, Planetary and Space Science, Meteoritics and Planetary Science, Science, Nature, Astrophysical Journal....
*external reviewer for the OSS and PGG programs of NASA, panels PE9 and PE10 of ERC
*co-organizer of Session PS10 of the EGS Assembly (Nice, April 20, 1998).
*member of the Scientific Organization Committee of:
-US-European Celestial Mechanics Workshop (Poznan, Poland, July 2000)
-Asteroid III book.
-winter school of C.N.R.S. Chronology of Solar System formation
(Les Houches, France, January 2001)
-winter school of C.N.R.S. Chronology of Solar System formation II
(Aussois, France, February 2004)
-winter school of C.N.R.S. Chronology of Solar System formation IV
(Les Houches, France, February 2009)
-winter school of C.N.R.S. Chronology of Solar System formation V
(Les Houches, France, February 2013)
- TNO meeting (Catania 2006)
- 40th ESLAB symposium "Impact cratering in the Solar System" (ESTEC, May 2006)
- IAU Symposium 236 "Near Earth Objects, our Celestial Neighbors: Opportunity and Risk" (Prague, 2006)
- NOBEL symposium "Physics of Planetary Systems" (2007)
- Planet-Z conference `Origin and Evolution of planets', Ascona (Italy), 2008.
- Newton Institute Programme `Dynamics of Discs and Planets', Cambridge, Aug. 12 - Dec 18. 2009.
- TNO 2010, Philadelphia, June 2010
- Extreme Solar Systems II, September 2011
- IAU symposium "Complex Planetary Systems", Namur (Belgium), 2014.
- ISSI meeting "The Delivery of Water to Proto-planets, Planets and Satellites", 2016
* Co-organizer of the Programme `Dynamics of Discs and Planets' of Newton Institute, Cambridge (UK) (2009).
* principal scientist for the phase-A study of the EUNEOS mission, an ESA mission for the discovery of Near Earth Asteroids.
* chair of the Local Organizing Committee of the 2004 meeting of the Division on Dynamical Astronomy of the American Astronomical Society
* member of the SOC of ASSNA(Action Specifique Simulations Numeriques en Astronomie)
* member of the TAC of the CFH telescope (2004-2005)
* member of the scientific council of the Marseille-Provence Observatory (2005-2007), of IMCCE and Cassiopee (since 2008)
* president of the evaluation committee of IMCCE (2004), Luth (2017), Ipag (2020)
* member of the evaluation committees of : Observatoire de Paris, LAOG (2005), LGL-TPL (2015), OSUG (2020)
* member of CSA (Commission Specialisee en Astronomie)(2006, 2010-)
* member of the Solar System Working Group of CNES (since 2006)
* member of the Committee of the Division on Dynamical Astronomy of the AmericanAstronomical Society(2006-2007); chair of the Brouwer award selection committee (2007)
* Member of the "Exo-Planet Roadmap Advisory Team" of ESA (2008-2009)
* Member of the prize selection committee of the DPS (2009-2010)
* Member of the visiting committee of the Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences at Caltech (2010)
* Member of the visiting committee of Carnegie's Department for Terrestrial Magnetism (2015)
* Member of the "Haut Conseil Scientifique" of Paris Observatory(2012-2014)
* Member of the ANR committee CE31 (2016-)
* Coordinator of the Center for Planetary Origin (C4PO)
Teaching and Advisor responsibilities- Master lectures on Celestial Mechanics, University of Nice - Sophia Antipolis (1993-1997)
- Master lectures on Planet Formation, University of Nice - Sophia Antipolis (2008-)
- Cycle of lectures "Secular dyanimcs of the small bodies of the Solar System" (6h), Observatory of LaPlata (2000)
- Cycle of lectures "Solar System Small Bodies" (5h), Observatory of Rio de Janeiro (2001)
- Cycle of lectures "origin and evolution of planeetary systems" (4.5h) Como and Vilnus, 2016
- Cycle of lectures (3h) "Solar system formation and early evolution", ISSS Course on Planetary Interiors, September 2016
- Ph.D. advisor/co-advisor of:
B. Gladman (1996-1997 and 1998-1999)
D. Nesvorny (1998-1999 and 2000-2001)
H. Morais (2000-2001)
K. Tsiganis (2002-2004)
D. O'brien (2005)
R. Brasser (2008-2011)
K. Walsh (2009-2010)
S. Marchi (2010-2011)
B. Bitsch (2011-2013)
S. Jacobson (2013-2016)
A. Izidoro da Costa (2013-2014)
K. Pahlevan (2013-2015)
M. Ogihara (2014-2016)
M. Lambrechts (2015-2017)
R. Deienno (2016)
Invited lectures in international meetings*Integrability and Chaotic behaviour (NATO ASI advanced research workshop), Torun, Poland, 1993;
*SIAM meeting, Snowbird, Utah, 1995;
*4th A. von Humboldt Colloquium, Ramsau, Austria, 1996;
*Kuiper Belt Workshop, Toronto, Canada, 1996;
*IAU colloquium No. 165, Poznan, Poland, 1996;
*Asteroid Comets Meteors '96, Versailles, France, 1996;
*Planetary Systems: the long view, 9th Blois international meeting, Blois, France, 1997;
*Interactions between Planets and Small Bodies, Joint Discussion, IAU general assembly, Kyoto, Japan, 1997;
*1st Rio de Janeiro international workshop on Planetary Sciences, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, 1997;
*The impact of modern dynamics in astronomy, IAU colloquium No. 172, Namur, Belgium, 1998;
*Evolution and Source regions of Asteroids and Comets, IAU colloquium No. 173, Tatranska Lomnica, Slovak Republic, 1998;
*Asteroid Comets Meteors '99, Ithaca, U.S.A., 1999;
*DPS Meeting, Abano, Italy, 1999;
*US-European Celestial Mechanics workshop, Poznan, Poland, 2000;
*DPS Meeting, Pasadena, Ca, USA, 2000;
*Sixth International Space Collaboration. A.I.A.A. workshop, Seville,Spain, 2001;
*Asteroids 2001, Palermo, Italy, 2001;
*Formation of Solar Systems, Gordon Conference, Connecticut, USA, 2001.
*Fall meeting, American Geophysical Union, San Francisco, USA, 2001.
*EGS meeting, Nice, France, 2002
*EKB workshop (Antofagasta, Chile, 2003)
*JENAM 2003, Budapest, Hungaria, 2003
*New geometry of Nature, Kazan, Russia, 2003
*KITP program "Planet Formation: Terrestrial and Extra-Solar", Santa Barbara, U.S.A., 2004
*Astrophysics of Planetary Systems, Harvard, USA, 2004
*COSPAR meeting, Paris, France, 2004
*IAU Colloquium 197 "Dynamics of populations of planetary systems", Belgrade, Serbia, 2004
*Saas-Fee Advanced Course on "Trans-Neptunian Objects and Comets", Wengen, Switzerland, 2005
*JENAM 2005, Liege, Belgium, 2005
*Protostars Planets V, Hawaii, 2005
*TNO meeting (Catania 2006)
*40th ESLAB symposium "Impact cratering in the Solar System" (ESTEC, May 2006)
*IAU Symposium 236 "Near Earth Objects, our Celestial Neighbors: Opportunity and Risk" (Prague, August, 2006)
*Planetary Science: challenges and discoveries (Blois, 2006)
*ESO workshop "Observing Planetary Systems" (Santiago, 2007)
*Division of Dynamical Astronomy meeting (Ann Harbour, 2007)
*Nobel Symposium "Physics of Planetary Systems", (Stockholm, 2007)
*Goldschmidt conference, plenary session (Cologne, 2007)
*Division of Planetary Science meeting (Orlando, 2007)
*Workshop `Chronology of meteorites and the early Solar System', Kauai (2007)
*ETH international conference "Origin and Evolution of Planets" (Ascona, 2008)
*ESLAB symposium "Cosmic Cataclysm and Life" (ESRIN, 2008)
*TIARA workshop on DIM KBOS (Taiwan, 2008)
*LinFest conference (60th anniversary of D. Lin celebration), Prato, June 2009.
*MetSoc Conference (Nancy, 2009)
*IAU symposium "Icy bodies of the Solar System" (Rio de Janeiro, 2009)
*IAU Symposium nr. 269 "Galileo's Medicean Moons: their Impact on 400 years of Discovery", Padova, January, 2010.
*ESF Conference "Putting Our Solar System in Context: Origin, Dynamical and Physical Evolution of Multiple Planet Systems", Austria, April, 2010
*SIAM/RSME-SCM-SEMAMeeting:"Emerging Topics in Dynamical Systems and Partial Differential Equations", Barcelona, May, 2010
*Workshop in honor of P. Farinella, Pisa, June 2010
*Europlanet Science Conference, Rome, September 2010.
*XV Brazilian Colloquium of Orbital Dynamics, Theresopolis (BR), Dec. 2010
*The 15th International Conference on Gravitational Microlensing, Salerno, Jan 2011.
*WE-Heraeus Seminar on Extrasolar Planets, Bad Honnef, June 2011.
*ORIGINS 2011, Montpellier, July 2011.
*Gordon Conference on the origins of solar systems, Mt. Holyoke College, July 2011.
*Observing Planetary Systems, ESO, Santiago, March 2012
*Goldschmidt conference, section "Chemical and isotopic constraints on planetary accretion and differentiation", Montreal, June 2012.
*Conference: “Planet formation and evolution”, Munich, September 2012
*Royal Society Meeting on Extrasolar Planets, London, March 2013
*Royal Society Meeting on Moon Origin, London, September, 2013
*First Cospar Symposium, Bangkok, November 2013.
*Invited lecture at "Academie Royale de Belgique", January 11, 2014
*ELSI workshop "Origin and Evolution of the Earth-Life System.", Tokyo, March 2014
*ACM, Helsinki, June 2014
*Characterizing Planetary Systems Across the HR Diagram, Cambridge (UK), July 2014.
*Lobanov-Rostovsky Lecture, Oxford (UK), Decembeer 2014.
*International Workshop in Jacques Laskar's honour, Paris, Arpil 2015.
*Workshop "Formation of the Solar System II", Berlin, June 2015.
*IAU FM318 « Highlights in the exploration of Small Worlds », Honolulu, August, 2015.
*COSPAR symposium, Iguazu, Nov. 9-13, 2015
*Workshop "Planet formation and Evolution", Duisburg, March 2016
*Workshop "Primitive material in the solar system II", Villefranche sur Mer, juin, 2016
*Royal Society Discussion Meeting: Cometary Science after Rosetta, June 2016
*Lorentz workshop "New Directions in planet formation", July, 2016
*COMETS 2016, Toulouse, Nov. 2016
*Gordon conference, Mount Holyo, June 2017
20,200 citations and H-factor=76 (source ADS Sept 11, 2020)
-1 book: Modern Celestial Mechanics; Aspects of Solar System Dynamics. Taylor & Francis/Cambridge Scientific Publishers.
THE BOOK IS SOLD OUT. DOWNLOAD A FREE PDF COPY!
Mt. Rosa (4550mt) - Italy- Sept. 2000
Mt.Blanc (4808mt) - France- June 2004
Lyskamm (4527m) - Italy - July 2015
OUR GROUP'S WEBPAGE !
THE C4PO RESEARCH CONSORTIUM
THE MOJO PROJECT OUTREACH VIDEOS:
- Part 0: Introduction
- Part 1: Stages of planet formation: current paradigms
- Part 2: How common are Solar Systems?
- Part 3: Why is Jupiter so much bigger than Earth?
- Part 4: Why is Mars smaller than Earth?
- Part 5: Why is Earth so dry?
- Part 6: Where did Earth’s water come from?
- Part 7: How do super-Earths form?
- Part 8: Why super-Earths cannot have formed “in-situ” ?
- Part 9: Why aren’t there any close-in Super-Earths in the Solar System?
- Part 10: Unsolved mysteries in planet formation
- Bonus: The origin of the interstellar object Oumuamua