Lagrange laboratory is recruiting an engineer in Software engineering.
Job offer : fixed term contract (H2020_AdG 2020: Project 101019953 ISSP)
Level : Master
Salary : Depending on experience, research engineer level
Type of position : Informatics, Statistics, Scientific computation. Expert in software engineering
Situation : Université Côte d’Azur – Observatoire de la Côte d’Azur - Laboratoire LAGRANGE – Bâtiment Fizeau du Campus Valrose (Nice)
Description of Observatoire de la Côte d’Azur
The Côte d'Azur Observatory, Lagrange Laboratory, ERC ISSP Project (Interferometric Survey of Stellar Parameters, PI D. Mourard) is recruiting a research engineer in instrumentation for 2 years from September 1, 2021, in within the framework of the CHARA/SPICA instrument project. This project consists of the installation of a new 6-telescope visible interferometric instrument on the CHARA array at Mount Wilson (CA, USA) as well as the installation of a 6-telescope infrared fringe tracker. The ISSP project is based on a large survey of stellar parameters of around 1,000 stars in three years, starting in mid-2022. The integration of the instruments is underway in Nice and at Mount Wilson and the commissioning is scheduled for the winter of 2021-2022.
Description of the position
The engineer will take the responsibility of the animation of the data chain from the management of the input catalog and observation proposals to the preparation of the observations by interfacing with the software tools developed by the Jean-Marie Mariotti Center (JMMC). He / she will also develop the new functionalities necessary for communicating with the control of the CHARA interferometric network and of the CHARA/SPICA instrument. In coordination with the scientific team and the project's computer engineers, he will take charge of the automation of the data reduction pipeline as well as the quality control chain (transfer function, analysis of calibrators) and the supply of the various databases necessary for the management of the stellar survey. He / she will assist the scientific team for the development and implementation of data analysis tools as well as for the preparation of observations and their realization.
- Manage the project over all its life cycle.
- Ensure a role of advice and expertise.
- Analyze the needs and participate in the realization of the functional specifications of the project.
- Ensure the design of the solution through in-depth expertise.
- Define the software and/or hardware architecture.
- Manage the qualification testing strategy.
- Organize and monitor application packaging activities intended to be deployed on one or more operating sites.
- Manage the deployment of a product or a service, design the support plan for changing users and the training plan, organize functional and / or technical assistance.
- Programming Language: Python, C / C ++
- Experience in software development under Linux; client / server programming.
- Experience of a few years in database, knowledge of REST API.
- Experience in the field of data processing.
- Ideally, knowledge of astronomical instrumentation in the field of high angular resolution.
- Good knowledge of English
The position assumes regular mobility in the United States at Mount Wilson in California for the various phases of sky tests and instrumentation optimization. Many observations will take place remotely from the Plateau de Calern site of the Côte d´Azur Observatory. In addition, the developments will be done in conjunction with the technical group of JMMC in Grenoble (missions to be planned).
Denis Mourard, firstname.lastname@example.org.